FIFA.com - 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ - News
- A mascot springing from ancient RussiaFIFA.com introduces fans to the three finalists of the campaign to design the Official Mascot of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia. Their work will be put to a national vote in autumn to determine the tournament's mascot. Today we learn all about Sofia Podlesnykh from Novgorod State University.
- Solomons seek to reprise historic high watermarkFIFA.com speaks to Solomon Islands veteran star Henry Fa'Arodo who says the Bonitos are aiming to reward the nation's passion for football during upcoming Russia 2018 qualifying.
- Ekaterina Bocharova's Siberian fairytaleFIFA.com introduces fans to the three finalists of the campaign to design the Official Mascot of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia. Their work will be put to a nationwide vote in autumn to determine the tournament's mascot. Today we learn all about Ekaterina Bocharova from Tomsk State University.
- Omari and Syria working a miracle
- Renard appointed as new Morocco coachMorocco have appointed two-time CAF Africa Cup of Nations-winning coach Herve Renard to lead the side, replacing Badou Zaki in charge of the Atlas Lions.
- Pele gives Uruguay the runaround
Every week in the build-up to Russia 2018, FIFA.com will be highlighting a classic FIFA World Cup image. We continue with a look back to a moment of magic from Pele in the 1970 semi-finals.
- Kluivert: The Netherlands are in transition
FIFA.com sat down with Netherlands legend Patrick Kluivert, who talked about his time as the Oranje's assistant coach at Brazil 2014, managing Curacao in the CONCACAF Zone qualifying for Russia 2018 and his thoughts on the current Barca side.
- Bakambu: I like taking risks
We speak to well-travelled forward Cedric Bakambu on his journey from Congo DR to Spain, via France and Turkey, and his hopes for 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying with the country of his birth.
- From 1966 to 2014: Remembering FIFA World Cup mascotsWhile the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ has not yet arrived, the tournament continues to take shape – not least when it comes to mascots. On Thursday 11 February 2016, the three designs that made it into the preliminary vote were unveiled.
- Tiger, wolf and cat shortlisted to be Russia 2018 mascot
The campaign to select the Official Mascot for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ has taken another step forward, with three shortlisted designs now being prepared for the public vote that will take place across Russia in Autumn 2016.
- Experts assess labour conditions and workers' safety at St Petersburg stadium
The inspection was part of the implementation of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Sustainability Strategy and was the first of its kind.
- Cuper: Passion in the air in EgyptVeteran coach Hector Cuper talks to FIFA.com about his new job shepherding Egypt's national team back to the FIFA World Cup for the first time in over a quarter of a century.
- When Rene met Roger
Every week in the build-up to Russia 2018, FIFA.com will be highlighting a classic FIFA World Cup image. Our latest photograph features Rene Higuita and Roger Milla conjuring up an iconic moment at Italy 1990.
- Invitation to tender: Public Food & Beverage Concessionaire for the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 and 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia
FIF wishes to invite tenderers to submit proposals for the FIFA Public Food & Beverage Concession operations for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ and FIFA Confederations Cup Russia 2017.
- Hareide: Denmark job an ideal challenge
FIFA.com spoke to Denmark coach Age Harried about taking on his latest challenge, preparation for FIFA World Cup qualifiers, the changes in football over his years in management and much more.
- Africans use CHAN to stake their claimIn the CAF tournament for domestic-based players that just concluded in Rwanda, several stars - new and old - emerged as potential difference makers on the road to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- Postecoglou: Russia 2017 a great rewardAustralia coach Ange Postecoglou has spoken of his excitement ahead of the FIFA Confederations Cup Russia 2017, with the tournament now 500 days away.
- Castro’s clincher secures Celeste's crown
Every week in the build-up to Russia 2018, FIFA.com will be highlighting a classic FIFA World Cup image. We kick off this new series with a shot of how the first tournament was won.
- Historic campaign pushes Turkmenistan to new level
The central Asian nation of Turkmenistan are excelling in Asian qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia, with the campaign highlighted by a historic result against Iran. FIFA.com spoke to midfielder Guwanc Abylow about his side's progress and much more.
- 36 Venue Specific Training Sites approved for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™FIFA has approved the list of Venue Specific Training Sites for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia submitted by the Russia 2018 Local Organising Committee. The list includes 36 VSTSs – three for each one of the 12 FIFA World Cup stadiums.
- The football pitch: A vital element of the game
Pitch management for next year's FIFA Confederations Cup and the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ has already been discussed at a special workshop in Moscow.
- University chancellors to be 2018 FIFA World Cup™ Volunteer Programme ambassadors
Chancellors from 15 universities have been appointed as Russia 2018 Volunteer Program ambassadors, whose institutions will be hosting Volunteer Centres covering all 11 Host Cities.
- Miya taking flight with the Cranes
FIFA.com spoke exclusively with Uganda's high-flying teenager Faruku Miya, who talks captaining his country at the tender age of 18.
- Discover the delights of Samara
We take a closer look at Samara, one of Russia 2018's Host Cities, which will be the venue for six 2018 FIFA World Cup™ games, including a quarter-final.
- Sampaoli vacates Chile post
Jorge Sampaoli has quit as Chile coach after reaching an agreement with the country’s National Professional Football Association (ANFP) on the termination of his contract.
- Pereira: You have to know how to use aerial play
FIFA.com sat down with Uruguay star Alvaro Pereira, who talks World Cup qualifying, the return of Luis Suarez and his countrymen's exceptional heading abilities.
- De Jong: Time for new Dutch generation to step upProlific PSV striker Luuk de Jong speaks to FIFA.com about reviving his career, Champions League success and the challenge of restoring the Netherlands after their failure to qualify for the EURO.
- Kuwait sanctioned after unplayed FIFA World Cup™ qualifierThe FIFA Disciplinary Committee has reached a decision in the case involving the Kuwait Football Association (KFA) following an unplayed match in the preliminary competition for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™.
- Samuel: I’m not scared of the future
Currently winding down his career in the Swiss league, former Argentinian international Walter Samuel talks to FIFA.com about his life in Switzerland and what the future may hold for him off the pitch and his national team on it.
- Mexico out in front on CONCACAF road
FIFA.com wraps up the action on the road to Russia 2018 from CONCACAF in 2015, a year in which Mexico reasserted their dominance and USA lost their way.
- Ecuador, Uruguay set the early paceFIFA.com reviews the early stages of South American qualifying for the next FIFA World Cup, highlighting a stat, a quote and some standout performers.
- African favourites stay on targetCAF's footballing giants successfully navigated the early rounds of Russia 2018 qualifying with 20 teams left standing at the start of the group stage that will eventually winnow the field to five qualifiers for the finals.
- Thrillers galore and surprises aplenty in AsiaThe year in Asian qualifying for Russia 2018 has been one to savour for all those who enjoy a surprise, with minnows making waves and favourites faltering as only Qatar end the year with a guaranteed spot in the next round.
- Huge hearts and big ambitions kick-off Oceania’s journeyFIFA.com reports on an exciting start to Oceania's Russia 2018 journey during 2015 and looks ahead to what lies in story for the Pacific's elite nations.
- Matthaus and Kerzhakov inspire Russian children
Which fan doesn't dream about receiving a letter from their footballing idol? For children at a number of orphanages in Russia, this dream is about to come true during the festive season thanks to the charity initiative “A New Year's Fairy Tale”.
- The goalkeeper’s long road to redemptionNo one knows the highs and lows of football like Nicky Salapu, but the American Samoa goalkeeper retains a passion for the game that is almost impossible to surpass.
- Al-Sahlawi: I’d love to score at the World CupMohammad Al-Sahlawi chats to FIFA.com about his memories of Saudi Arabia's class of '94, their fine performances in Russia 2018 qualifying, and the secret to his knack of scoring last-gasp goals.
- Ryan’s journey from caravan to penthouseAustralia goalkeeper Mat Ryan, who watched the 2010 FIFA World Cup from a caravan as an 18-year old, is thriving as the Socceroos' No1, and the 23-year old took some time to chat to FIFA.com about his experiences at Brazil 2014, living in Spain, growing up in Sydney’s blue collar outer suburbs and more.
- Russia 2018 mascot panel selectedThe Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia have named a panel of judges as part of the process to select the official mascot for tournament.
- FIFA Executive Committee approves kick-off times for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™
The FIFA Executive Committee has approved the kick-off times for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ and the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017. The opening match of both tournaments, as well as the FIFA World Cup Final, will be played at 18.00 Moscow time (UTC + 3)
- Herediano twosome step up for Ticos
Midfielders Randall Azofeifa and Esteban Granados chat exclusively with FIFA.com about Costa Rica coach Oscar Ramirez's trust in them during Russia 2018 qualifying and their success in the Costa Rican championship with Herediano.
- Yoshida: Japan must find the right balanceMaya Yoshida tells FIFA.com about Japan's new adventure under the tough Vahid Halilhodzic, explains the secret to Southampton's success in the English Premier League and speaks about being an exception in his position.
- Mutko: Security must have special emphasisFollowing a meeting between the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ Local Organising Committee (LOC) Management Board, LOC Chairman Vitaly Mutko and FIFA Acting General Secretary Markus Kattner reflect on security provisions and 2015's progress.
- Russia 2018 LOC Management Board reviews 2015 and looks forward to FIFA Confederations Cup 2017
A review of the main achievements of 2015 and preparations for the FIFA Confederations Cup 2017 were the main topics of the seventh meeting of the Russia 2018 LOC (Local Organising Committee) Management Board in Moscow. The meeting took place, with FIFA’s participation, on 24 November 2015.
- Nepomnyashchy: I'd rank Milla with the greatest
Looking back at Italy 1990, former Cameroon coach Valery Nepomnyashchy recalled that unforgettable win over Argentina and Roger Milla picking Rene Higuita's pocket, before revealing his mistake in the quarter-final match against England.
- June draw for third round of African Zone qualifiers
FIFA and CAF have determined that the draw for the third round of African Zone qualifiers for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ will be held at CAF headquarters in Cairo on 24 June 2016.
- Ecuador stay perfect as Argentina, Brazil winFIFA.com reflects on a dramatic night in South America's 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, with big wins for Ecuador, Uruguay and Brazil and a vital away triumph for Argentina.
- Mexico, Ticos a cut above the CONCACAF packFIFA.com runs down all the action from CONCACAF qualifying on Tuesday night, where Mexico and Costa Rica both won to keep their records perfect.
- Big boys bounce back in Africa
The 20-team group stage in CAF qualifying for Russia 2018 is set as favourites like Egypt, Nigeria and Ghana rebounded in the second legs of their tests.
- Qatar through as Australia, Iran make groundQatar became the first team to reach Round 3 as Australia usurped Jordan from their section’s summit and Iran strode clear of Oman.